Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Examining the Bible: What do YOU believe about the Bible?

Can the Bible be trusted? Is it just a collection of legends and stories, or is it the inspired word of God? Many people today assume that modern way of thinking has discredited the Bible, but the facts of history, and the discoveries of archaeology, confirm its contents to be true! The Bible recounts the past with amazing accuracy, and it predicts the future like no other book. Most of the world has been misled and misinformed about the Bible.

As I discussed in my previous post, I spent my two first years of college as a Journalism major. I was a reporter for my college newspaper. Every good journalist is a researcher. You can't report about something that "might" be true. You  certainly can not hope your "hunch" is correct when reporting a news story! This journalism training as well as my own natural tendency to be a skeptic, made my seeking my spiritual path that much more difficult. There was simply no way I was ever going to put my trust in a religion or spiritual movement that had no proof source. If this was something I was going to devote my life to and teach my children about, it had to be 100% accurate and I needed proof.

Therefore the focus of this post is the proof supporting the accuracy of the Bible. After all, if the Bible is not true or it is filled with errors, Christianity would only be a "blind faith", something people believe without any evidence to support it. Christianity is NOT a blind faith. In fact it is the ONLY religion that can prove itself, and a main source of that proof is the Bible. The existence of all this evidence is one reason why I started this blog. In the year I was almost completely bed ridden before and after back surgery and in the 12 years since I have never found another religion or spiritual movement that can prove itself. In fact I'm constantly amazed to see how people can put all of their trust and blind faith into something that has no evidence to back up what it claims.

What do YOU believe about the Bible? Is it really the inspired word of God? Was it accurately preserved for thousands of years as a unique revelation from the Creator of the universe? Or is it just a collection of humanly devised myths and fables? Do we even have the right books in the Bible, or are important sources missing that would change our view of God, Jesus Christ and Christianity? Can we trust Scripture? Is the Bible vital and relevant today?

Today, many educated people assume that science and modern thoughts and concepts have thoroughly discredited the Bible. The assumption thrives because so many know so little about the Bible.  Many people today are simply unaware of discoveries that continue to confirm the historical accuracy of Scripture. Instead, people are encouraged to believe that all religions are equally credible, without comparing the source books of those religions. As a result, millions are unaware of how the Bible is unique, and what amazing features distinguish it from all other religious books.

Before you accept the idea that the Bible is "just like any other book", or that it has no relevance for you, you need to examine the evidence for yourself. That evidence is eye-opening and you need to understand why so many today doubt the Bible's credibility, and what the truth about the Bible can mean to your future.

Because I feel that the Bible is so important to my faith and is in fact the proof source of what I believe, it will be the first and foremost piece of the Christian puzzle that I will write about and I will be spending several posts on this topic. My prayer is that if you are a believer, you will be blessed  to learn about the solid evidence that supports your faith, and can share it with others. If you are spiritually seeking, or already believe in another religion, spiritual movement or are agnostic or even atheist...than I challenge you to at least read the series of posts with an open mind and heart. I am very confident that your eyes will be open to the Bible like never before. 

The contents of Scripture can be verified by the facts of history and the discoveries of modern science and archaeology. Additionally the Bible provides the answers to life's big questions. Not only do the hundreds of detailed Bible prophesies accurately reveal the future course of world events, they set the Bible apart from all other religious books. The Bible provides a dimension of knowledge that is simply not available from any other source.

With so much evidence available, the real question that we face today is simply whether or not we can believe the Bible. As you read my series of posts on this topic, you will see that the answer is, "Yes, we can!"

return soon for: Examining the Bible: The Proof of Prophecy

No comments:

Post a Comment